[Magdalen] Coffee on monitor moment

P. Dan Brittain pdan.brittain at gmail.com
Sun May 14 01:33:38 UTC 2017

On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 7:41 PM, Joseph Cirou <romanos at mindspring.com>
wrote:

>> ​ >
> >

> Much fun was had by all. I think we could get a week's tour together to
> find the various band and folklorico-religious events held in the Benelux
> countries. ..

​Isn't that the truth!​

> Lessee I am getting older and my bucket list is not fulfilled. I need to
> get to Bayreuth, see all these folk celebrations. I've been to La Scala. I
> would be satisfied visiting Mt Athos and then recovering in Dubrovnik.

​Closest I got to Dubrovnik was a Balkan restaurant in Heidelberg​. Great
Dubrovnik Reis.

> I would be satisified with a Ring in Seattle, have attended a Capella
> Romana program here in Atlanta; have been to Santa Fe twice. Saw
> Paisiello's Barber in Amsterdam (rather boring may have been the
> Heineken's) saw an early opera or pre Opera in Sorrento where the lecture
> was longer than the performance.,

​Haven't managed those. Did see Boheme at the Vienna State Opera, and
Samson and Delilah at the Roman amphitheater in Verona​ (la Scala company).
The Vienna performance was fun - though couldn't afford the seats - they
had the option of "standing places," very reasonable.

​One of the particularly fun ones was when we saw an advert for the
Hubertusmesse, with the Heidelberg Hunting​

​Brass (natural horns with all the out of tune partials). Got there 40
minutes early, paid our DM 8 to get in the door and had to lean against a
pillar - church was packed (Jesuit church) and it happened that it wasn't a
concert. Hearing the mass in the context of a service was amazing.​

Another one was hearing Michael Schneider play a recital at the Kaisersdom
in Speyer (http://tinyurl.com/lyx28r4). That was on a Sunday evening during
the oil embargo - you could only drive every other weekend and it happened
to work out.

​About a month later, we went to visit the cathedral (dom) in Worms; paid
the tourist fee of DM6 to get in - to discover there was a wedding going on
while the tourists were wandering about. We found the sexton afterward and
said we would like to see the organ.​ He pointed. We finally got it across
that we would like to visit the instrument. As there had just been a
wedding, the organist was there and invited us up. Hearing that my wife was
an organist, he insisted that she play something - she saw his Bach volume
and played the St Anne P & F.

--
P. Dan Brittain
Harrison, Arkansas

http//:pdanbrittain.com
<http://pdanbrittain.com>* <http://pdanbrittain.com/>*
Transcriptions, Arrangements and Original Compositions
Wind Band, Brass Band, Choir, and Ensembles
Commissions accepted