[Magdalen] Cornbread: How sweet?

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 29 22:16:42 UTC 2017

My mother, I believe, put little to no sugar in her cornbread.  It was, after all, meant mainly as a "chili bean" accompaniment in our house.  (Also as an ingredient in my father's "buttermilk 'n' cornbread" post-meal dessert of sorts.  Add to that the fact that he was a lifelong open-mouthed chewer, and you can imagine how I was never none too pleased about sitting opposite him at the dinner table.)

But when I get cornbread in a restaurant or (like currently) in the Raley's hot food section, it seems as if sugar were the first ingredient.  Were it not for the memorable, crumbly texture, I wouldn't be able to eat it.  (I bought it to accompany my own bean soup I made yesterday.)