[Magdalen] Funeral Service at Saint Martin's, Houston.

Don Boyd thedonboyd at austin.rr.com
Sun Apr 22 14:18:41 UTC 2018

I am appalled by the number and tone of posts commenting on Mrs. Bush's funeral as if it had been a poorly executed, ineptly performed entertainment.  (Perhaps one shouldn't expect any better from benighted rich Republican Texans whose families were probably Baptist a generation or two back.)

  From what I've read and heard about St Martin's, it is unlikely that I would choose to make it my parish home if I lived in Houston.  I wouldn't have to -- Houston  is blessed with enough diversity in parishes' liturgical style preference that anyone can find a parish that feels like home.  The Bushes chose St Martins.

If believing that my preferences are the only right ones and all other preferences are wrong, i would have to believe that most parishes get things wrong.   I myself  prefer yellow-dog Democratic politics, Rite II liturgy, inclusive church leadership, and I joyfully kneel beside sisters and brothers in Christ wherever they may be on their own journeys of faith.

I have no idea whether i and those with similar views are "right".  Paraphasing St Louie Crew-Clay put it,  I don't expect to bang on the Pearly Gates yelling "let me in!  Let me in!  I was on the right side of all the issues!"  but I hope for the grace to whisper "God be merciful to me, a sinner."

Sent from my Jitterbug