[Magdalen] Dio SC (was Re: Dio. Of Virginia)

Ginga Wilder gingawilder at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 12:41:05 UTC 2018

Thanks, Roger.  Yes, you are absolutely correct.  When all the trappings of
our ecclesiastical inner workings went away, The Episcopal Church in SC was
free to reclaim our essence as the body of Christ.  We are much the
healthier for it.  When the politics went away, we were free to love as we
are called.  I say from my place in the pew that the schism ultimately was
the very best thing that could have happened for Episcopalians in SC at the
time.  We found ourselves as a church again.  Of course, politics are there
and the litigation drags on and on and on, but it is good here.  Sr Julian
reminds us that all shall be welle, and this is true.  (Did I say that
while Good Shepherd is outgrowing our rented space, many in our
congregation, including John and me, do not want to assume the St. Paul's
property.  For many reasons.  But, when that decision comes, Good Shepherd
won't have a choice in that decision. )

You have not missed anything - nothing has come from the courts since Judge
Dickson heard the latest rendition of the Lawrence church's argument that
the split SC Supreme Court decision for TEC and TECSC didn't mean what it
said.  John and I attended that hearing along with a few others from Good
Shepherd.  I felt the judge was quite sympathetic to the Lawrence argument
and not so much with TECSC's request to move forward to implement the SCSC
ruling by appointing a forensic accountant and also a special manager to
oversee the distribution of property.  My guess is that we are at least a
year or more away from anything changing with regard to property
settlement.  Please know that I have no info from our diocese to form my
opinion...and remember that I tend towards being an Eeyore when confronted
with this subject.  So, my opinion comes simply from my negative intuition.

You may find further information in recent posts at these two blogs:
Ron Caldwell
http://episcopalschismsc.blogspot.com/

Steve Skardon
http://www.scepiscopalians.com/