[Magdalen] Prayer List

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 03:05:32 UTC 2018

Well, if the prayer is for someone other than God (and I think they
certainly are), than the people desire to know who it is they are praying
for. The name obviously makes the prayer personal. That's the main reason
we have prayer chains at all. I mean, it' kind of pointless to call someone
who is on the prayer chain and say, "We have a need. Please start praying."
"Great. I'll do that.  Who is it for?"
"You don't need to know that. Just pray."
"Uh -- Okeydokee! Well what seems to be the problem?"
"You don't need to know that either.  Just pray."
"Hm... Wow--"<Hangs up>

The idea that we all think of prayer the same way is, I think, probably the
issue here.

And if as you say, it's all just for God, then a simple remark, "Those for
whom prayers are desired" is exactly right. God knows, and nobody else
needs to know anything, even a first name. That would not be, for me
anyway, very meaningful. But it's not for me to say what others might
prefer, of course.

I've heard some folks say that if you want to pray well, have very clear
ideas of what you are asking for in mind. I would imagine some folks would
not care for that approach, but it's a very valid point of view. When a
group gathers in the hospital waiting room and prays, they do not just
offer generic prayers. They ask for the particular person, by name and ask
for particular outcomes.

I was not just kidding.  I certainly think prayers are for the rest of us
as well. Otherwise, why bother? Do we seriously believe that God's
trajectory will change merely because we pray, "Well, er, whatever it is,
let you will be done, Lord..." I have always heard that we pray because
it's a two way street. That's a bit difficult if you don't know the name of
the street, or even what town, county or state you are in.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford