[Magdalen] Prayers, please.

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jul 1 23:24:59 UTC 2018

>>>Their decision,
as I read it, was solely about whether those who choose not to be part
of the union have to pay a fee to be able to work in that organization
and are not allowed to negotiate directly with the employer.<<<

I don't know how each union has dealt with the "fee payer" issue, but I was a fee payer for quite some time for financial reasons (when the fee became nearly as high as the dues, I simply re-joined), AND received all the rights and privileges of dues-paying members minus the right to vote in union elections or serve in said elected positions.  Maybe it's because our SEIU local is in California, but even during strikes one is protected from harrassment if one cannot in good conscience not cross the line and continue working (which applies to me, being a single-income household).

No matter what, SCOTUS has definitely dealt unions a blow, both in terms of collective bargaining and the ability to have enough money to do the work they need to do.

M J (Mike) Logsdon.

"Aaugh[.]" -- Charles Brown.
"Avoid dull needles and use a soft cloth." -- E Kovacs.
"...[My mouth is a] shithole..." -- 45th US President.