[Magdalen] Speech?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 8 08:24:24 UTC 2018

On 08/07/2018 01:12, Grace Cangialosi wrote:
> Roger,
> I'm  actually confused as to why he's going to England at all--I thought
> they had made it clear that they didn't want him to visit,

Unfortunately we have a government that does not know what it wants, let
alone what the people want. The PM has her own political agenda (not to
be ousted) which has to include the prospect of a trade deal with the US
post Brexit. Given DJT's attitude towards trade deals I cannot see that
actually happening.

> and I thought the Queen was not going to meet with him.

The American Ambassador is on record as saying that meeting is the most
important part of the visit, the two Heads of State being seen together.

> Who initiated this visit? And what "substantive" topics are they going to discuss?

The Ambassador's comments suggest few if any serious discussions, not
that you can have one with as impulsive a person as DJT and as enfeebled
a Prime Minister as we have at present. They will also have just been at
a NATO meeting where the discussions will be "interesting". At least we
are spending as much on defence as the USA has asked for and we house a
number of US air bases so he shouldn't be too rude to us at that
meeting. Other countries will doubtless put the European perspective
very clearly.

Roger