[Magdalen] Speech?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 8 10:08:33 UTC 2018

On 08/07/2018 09:31, Michael Bishop wrote:
> It is worth pointing out that originally the DJT's visit to UK was to
> have been a state visit - which would have included a visit to and
> stay at Buckingham Palace. Instead it has been downgraded and will
> only include a visit with most of the activity outside London. He is
> making up for it by going off afterwards on his own initiative for a
> stay at his golf resort in Scotland (giving unpopular extra security
> expenses in Scotland)

and I expect protests up there as well since I gather he is distinctly
unpopular there. In the past most state visits have included an address
to both Houses of Parliament. President GW Bush's visit was an exception
as he gave a speech in the Banqueting House instead. I suspect that the
Speakers of the two Houses of Parliament would rather not address such a
joint session in Westminster Hall. Likewise the security forces would
not want a formal carriage ride to Buckingham Palace.

Roger