[Magdalen] A Little Vobabulary Enrichment.

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Thu May 10 03:58:40 UTC 2018

-----Original Message-----

That sends me back to Moral Theology classes that we took in Latin: the texts but not discussion were in Latin--probably because the concepts were more easily remembered n that language.

Our tests usually had at least one question: Plene Explices or simply PE which meant to write from memory a particular moral issue based on memorized texts from the text boo.

I remember that there was a Latin phrase for schadenfreude  that began with Gaudium and I am thinking morosum but I am not sure.

I don't remember where it figured. I am thinking of sins against charity but I am not sure.

But Logic in Latin and Moral Theology in Latin placed a certain mindset in the minds of those who had no trouble with Latin.  There were many who did a lot of useless memorizations.

They were supposed to be mnemonic devices but if you couldn't understand what you were supposed to remember they weren't very useful. I don't know how many classes after us had any classes in Latin. Our philosphy texts were in Latin and especially if first year philosophy the prof would pose questions in Latin.  IN class in those days we were addressed as "Domine" which sounded strange but it simply meant "Sir" I believe the word for Reverend in Afrikaans is some form of Dominy which is probably a variant of Domine

I think the phrase is used among the various Reformed Churches in the country. Afrikaans and Slovak are considered among the newest of the European based languages. I don't think Afrikaans, tho distinct is that far removed from Dutch and I am told that the American accent comes from the Dutch which is what I think when I hear the King speak in touch.
I never felt that way with Beatrix, Juliana, or Wilhelmina. I imagine their Dutch was more high flown than the current monarch's.

Joe