[Magdalen] Pentecost Musings.

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Sun May 20 20:29:03 UTC 2018

It was long the custom at the local Procathedral to chant/play organ
the grand Durufle "Veni Spirtus Sanctus" as a choral/organ
prelude on the Feast of Pentecost.

A chant schola from the choir would sing each verse followed by the
appropriate organ variation.  This was always well received, and
highly effective.  Of course, the English translation was provided in
the service leaflet because the original Latin was sung.

I was first introduced to the Dururfle at Ulm Cathedral, Germany.  We
were touring the church, and had climbed the tower, tallest in the
world at 560+ ft.  The latter was a terrifying adventure because there
were not good railings and the pavement was wet from rain.

We then entered the "cathedral" and heard the Durufle wafting the
hundreds of feet vertically and horizontally in this tremendous space.

It was memorable.

David Strang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRpKtZrSTeg