[Magdalen] After General Synod in Vancouver for ACC lost the marriage amendment vote .

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 20:31:27 UTC 2019

Rick, for me it was spending time in NYC with friends who were (and are)
gay. I hadn't really had the experience before, and eventually I thought,
"Who am I kidding?" and came out to Mom and Dad on National Coming-Out Day
in 1993. I visited them and was going to leave a letter for them to read,
but Mom urged me to come in and let them read it and then talk about it.
She asked only, "Are you sure?" and recommended I not tell Grandma. I
didn't, but I'd be surprised if she didn't already know. Dad hadn't been in
the room but came in and told me he felt the same way as Mom about it
(supportive and I love you). And while Mom was reading the letter, actor
Dan Butler from Frazier was on the news, talking about coming out. I wrote
him to thank him for helping me come out! :)

I missed having a "normal" gay adolescence and 20s. Missed out on a lot,
actually, and I often wonder what if I hadn't missed out. But I had a good
coming out and am very glad for that.