[Magdalen] Our Canadian General Synod

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 31 23:52:23 UTC 2019

On 31/07/2019 16:59, Marion Thompson wrote:
> We votedt in two houses, clergy and laity.  After all, the HoB had had
> their say in making the nominations! of the five candidates! They weree not
> in the building but sequestered at the hotel.  On the fourth ballot, +Linda
> Nichols, now of Huron, formerly of Toronto, won over +Jane Alexander,
> Edmonton, the two left standing.  After the third ballot, a motion for
> further nominations was defeated.  Interestingly, the Youth Delegates had
> face time  beforehand with the five candidates, a privilege Clergy and
> Laity did not receive.

At least you had a role unlike in TEC where the HoB presents a candidate
essentially to be acclaimed by the House of Deputies. I'm not sure what
happens in Scotland and Wales but I think the decision there is for the
House of Bishops to elect one of their number to the position. In the
Church of England the process is different as the Primacy is linked to
the See of Canterbury. This means that the process follows the general
practice of nominations to diocesan Sees where the Crown Nominations
Commission, a Church established body, but this time with a Crown
nominated Chair, including clergy and laity comes up with a name to
present to the Queen for nomination and election. Despite what some
think the Prime Minister is effectively the postman conveying the
message rather than making the final selection and that has been the
case since 2007 when Gordon Brown , as Prime Minister, said he should
not have that discretion to choose between two nominees to present to
Her Majesty.

Roger