[Magdalen] American Cemetery France.

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Jun 9 16:39:31 UTC 2019

D Day Ramblings -

All this attention to the D-Day Invasion of Normandybrought back memories of seeing these cemeteriesin both 1967 and 1968.  They've planted Austrian(Black) Pines at the edge of the cliffs the troops
had to mount, and this cuts a little into the effect of thecemetery crosses sweeping to the very edge, butas then, the cemeteries are kept in top shape andvery impressive.

I reviewed my slides of the Normandy cemeteriesand also those of the equally well kept WW-1 cemeteries.Even in such as in the American Cemetery at Aisne Marne,the overwhelming influence of Ralph Adams Cram, theUSA AngloCatholic apostle of collegiate gothic for churchesand university buildings, shows.  Cram designed themonument/chapel in an atypical Romanesque style with altarand reredos looking as though they had been borrowedfrom a TEC church.  This Cram designed WW-1
cemetery chapel is on the exact route of Saint Joan of
Arc and her rag-tag army bringing her Dauphin (Charles VII)from Orleans (where she picked him out from the crowd) toReims for his coronation.

A nice vacation could be visiting American cemeteries in France.