[Magdalen] Rodent patrol news and wildlife update

Charles Wohlers chadwohl at satucket.com
Mon Jun 24 18:11:21 UTC 2019

Red-headed woodpeckers are very rare in Vermont, and then only in the
Champlain Valley. None right where I live. Lots of downy and hairy
woodpeckers, however. Judging from the commonly found distinctive holes
they leave, we also have pileated woodpeckers, but I have yet to see
one.
The robin's nest at our house again produced baby robins, and our
resident phoebes had a successful nest again right above our front door.
At church in Montpelier mama robin is starting her second brood in a
nest right above the front door to the church. Sundays appear to be
stressful for poor mama robin.

A friend reports that the peregrine falcons on Nichols Ledge here in
town again appear to have a successful nesting.

As we were leaving a friend's house last night in E. Montpelier, saw a
mama deer with nursing fawn right in the open at a crossroads. Not a
normal thing you see while driving along.

The very wet spring we've had shows promise for abundant crops of
strawberries, blueberries, apples and wild blackberries. OTOH, we've had
an infestation of ticks this year - first time in the ten tears we've
lived here.

That's all from northern Vermont -

--
Chad Wohlers