[Magdalen] Erdbeeren Kuchen mit Slagzahn

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Jun 24 03:57:07 UTC 2019

March came in like a lion, a whipping up the water in the bay.Then April cried and stepped aside.  and along come pretty little May.                                                                May was full of promises,but she didn't keep 'em quick enough for some, and a crowdof doubting Thomases was predicting that summer'd never come.But she's coming by gum........June IS busting out all over.
                                                  Carousel - Rogers & Hammerstein.

We finally had strawberry shortcake with whipped cream topping tonight.June is strawberry month.  Back in the day, my family relied on a sturdyfarm woman with a fantastic garden for both the regular "June Berries"and for her "Everbearing strawberries, all of which guaranteed that                                                               there were plentiful strawberries almost until frost in the autumn.
She had corn, cucumbers, potatoes, etc. in abundance.  Maybe it wasrelated to her farm which was right at the botanical "Tension Zone"500' to the northwest, the maples and basswoods on the farm gaveway to various pines and pin oaks.  I don't know for sure, but hercrops were prodigious.
My taste for strawberry shortcake only accelerated during the more thanthree years I lived in Germany.  The Germans more than just like strawberries;the require them.  Every restaurant in Deutschland worth it's salt had thisitem on its menu for June, and for much of the summer.
David Strang.