[Magdalen] Grin and Bear It.

Charles Wohlers chadwohl at satucket.com
Sat Mar 30 17:32:43 UTC 2019

Actually, it was a black bear (Ursus americanus). Brown bears are only
found in Alaska.

The game warden's advice was exactly correct - mamma bears are quite
protective of their young, and they often have their cubs climb a tree
for protection while mom is off getting food. Once she returns, the
cub(s) will come down - which is exactly what happened.

I know all this, partly because I live in Vermont where bears are fairly
common, but also because this guy (https://www.benkilham.com) came and
gave a talk here in town. He knows his stuff!

BTW, we also had a sign of Spring here last night - first visitation by
our resident raccoons to our bird feeders.   :-(

Chad Wohlers
chadwohl at satucket.com
Woodbury, VT   USA