[Magdalen] Rescue (No Anglican Content)

Charles Wohlers chad at satucket.com
Wed Nov 13 02:44:43 UTC 2019

None of those trees grow here - too cold. Even oaks aren't found wild
here, although they are quite common just south of here in Montpelier.
We do have *lots* of trees - just not a great variety. Of large trees on
our property, we have sugar & red maple, beech, black cherry, yellow &
paper birch, white & red pine, spruce (forget which one), balsam fir and
hemlock. That's about it.

Speaking of rescue trees, one shouldn't forget the franklinia, which was
first discovered in a very small stand in Georgia in the mid-1700's, and
just 50 years later it was extinct in the wild. But, seeds were saved
and it has since been propagated widely.

One might also mention the Torrey pine, which only exists in two small
areas, one near San Diego and the other on Santa Rosa Island in the
Channel Is. Nat. Park. We visited there a few years ago, and pictures
(in case you're interested) are at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cwohlers/albums/72157671565824634 - look
in the 2nd & third rows. They seem to be doing well there, I suspect
'cause the place is no longer one big cattle ranch.

And, speaking of trees, if anyone out there wants a 50+ foot balsam fir
Christmas tree, we have a couple dozen or more here. You'll have to
arrange transportation, however.   ;-)

--
Chad Wohlers
chad at satucket.com