[Magdalen] TEC talk

Simon Kershaw simon at kershaw.org.uk
Mon Oct 21 15:07:36 UTC 2019

And since the text of that Article Five is itself of some interest, here
it is in full:

"ARTICLE FIFTH.

"That it be the Fifth Article of Union, That the Churches of England and
Ireland, as now by Law established, be united into one Protestant
Episcopal Church, to be called, The United Church of England and
Ireland; and that the Doctrine, Worship, Discipline, and Government of
the said United Church shall be, and shall remain in full force for
ever, as the same are now by Law established for the Church of England;
and that the Continuance and Preservation of the said United Church, as
the established Church of England and Ireland, shall be deemed and taken
to be an essential and fundamental Part of the Union; and that in like
Manner the Doctrine, Worship, Discipline, and Government of the Church
of Scotland, shall remain and be preserved as the same are now
established by Law, and by the Acts for the Union of the two Kingdoms of
England and Scotland."

The whole Act can be found at

http://rahbarnes.co.uk/union/the-united-kingdom-of-union-1800/union-with-ireland-act-1800/

But note in particular that this united church is explicitly referred to
as "one Protestant Episcopal Church".

Large chunks of the Act have since been repealed. But the last clause of
this Article is still on the statute book, from after the semi-colon
(i.e. the reference to the continued independence of the Church of
Scotland, which is the presbyterian church).

simon

--
Simon Kershaw
simon at kershaw.org.uk