[Magdalen] TEC talk

anthony clavier anthonyfmclavier at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 16:23:47 UTC 2019

When Samuel Seabury was consecrated the SEC was not in communion with the
See of Canterbury. It was for that reason that Provost and his friends
demanded that Seabury's consecration not be recognized. (of course that
Seabury was a chaplain to the British Army during the Revolution had
nothing to do with it!)

It is difficult to determine when either the SEC or TEC entered what would
become the AC. While Canterbury consecrated two TEC bishops, the
legislation enabling the consecrations made it clear that American bishops
and the clergy they ordained were not permitted to function in England,
Wales, Ireland or Canada.

+Tony