[Magdalen] Internet puzzle?

cady soukup cadyasoukup at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 19:53:10 UTC 2020

In addition, geography (i.e. rocks & hills) and botany (LOTS of trees)
add to the fun for connectivity. Something like 3 companies went
bankrupt trying to put in cable for the 2 main roads in our county: US
211 (east-west) and US 522 (north-south). Too much rock for
underground. Never got a good deal from the power companies to use
their poles. Mike Mahoney likely knows more.

Cable companies really like a 'market' along the road - they want at
least 250 houses-per-mile to make it profitable to put in cable. Along
the 2.5 miles of my road, if I count the barns & sheds, there may be
40 'houses'!

All those who did live on US 211 /522 could have cable for the fee of
connecting their house to the cable (upwards of thousands of feet for
some farm houses). Those who did NOT live along those roads ... have
the option of using dial-up or towers.

Rappahannock Electric Cooperative has made it a priority to provide
connectivity to their customers, but I have not seen anything further
than the initial PR copy, so no details. Creating cooperatives for
internet access may be the only way it will work in today's for-profit
climate when so much of our 'take-it-for-granted' infrastructure is
not quite up to grade.

Cady