[Magdalen] Where are we

Brian Reid brian at reid.org
Fri Dec 18 20:58:25 UTC 2020

I have retired, moved 500 miles south from Palo Alto to Carlsbad CA,
sold my house (it was on the market for a year and a half) and Zooming
in to services at my Palo Alto parish because there's no point trying to
find one down here. It's a lonely existence, but I do note that I am
still alive. California currently has a terrible COVID rate, getting
worse each day. I get groceries delivered, FaceTime my children and
grandchildren, and cook far too much yummy food.

I want to put in a plug for the annual Christmas concert tonight (about
4 hours from now) given by my brother and his wife from their barn in
York, Maine. Here's the concert link:

http://www.joyscream.com/livestream/

If you want to get a sense of what they do, here is my current favorite
of their Zoom performance Christmas songs.

https://youtu.be/KDobpf0AVPI?t=3186

They sing the Henry van Dyke lyrics to Beethoven's Ode to Joy. The
recording doesn't stop at the end of that hymn, but their internet
service failed shortly into the next song.