[Magdalen] School Songs

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 16:19:37 UTC 2020

I've always admired the University of Michigan and especially its School of
Music. I used to attend the spectacular Collage concerts every year in Hill
Auditorium and was blown away by many of the performances. I wished MSU
students could get more serious and competitive, less party-focused. But of
course it was possible to apply oneself and be a high achiever anyway.
Seeing The Paper Chase, about Harvard Law School, made me even more
desirous of such a serious student culture.

But MSU's Department of Music has come a long way since I was there...it
became a School of Music and now is a College of Music with its own dean
(who is my former saxophone professor). They've built a new wing or
renovated an old one, finally, on the art deco music building. The
orchestra and other ensembles are phenomenal. And the campus is second to
none.

The MSU football coach years ago famously called the U of M crowd "a bunch
of arrogant a**h***s"; I don't think that helped the rivalry much.

In MSU marching band rehearsals, it was customary to hiss immediately
whenever the U of M was mentioned. I did then, but I have no reason to do
so since then. That state should be proud of the U of M, MSU, and its other
very good universities.