[Magdalen] Garden report

P. Dan Brittain pdan.brittain at gmail.com
Sun May 24 20:40:07 UTC 2020

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 3:23 PM Jay Weigel <jay.weigel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Our problems are more in the line of creeping charlie, crown vetch, and a
> nasty little $#@ which I have just learned is commonly called "stickywilly"
> although I had previously referred to it as "hitchhiker" for its nasty
> habit of clinging to your socks and pants, and to your gloves and sleeves
> when you try to pull it out.

We have some of those too and a thing called Henbit (which we also have
read is edible - though we haven't been able to bring ourselves to try it
yet).

> And in our lower flowerbeds, poison ivy and
> the ever-present "creeping Virginia", otherwise known as Virginia creeper
> (Parthenocissus quinquefolia). which look pretty much alike in their early
> stages.

We have a plethora of those too. I call the tree man once or twice a year
to clean out our fence due to the poison ivy.

The violets are all in the grass. We can't have tomatoes because of
> black walnuts.

Each of our neighbors have a black walnut close to our yard, which is why I
started using tubs. A few years later, I stuck a few in the ground and they
do ok too.

dan