[Magdalen] Garden report

Chad Wohlers chad at satucket.com
Mon May 25 15:07:15 UTC 2020

We have lots of trilliums here - not so much of the other stuff. Also
gazillions of trout lilies and spring beauties - all of which have just
gone by.

Posted what's below yesterday but it seems to have gotten lost in the
luminiferous ether:

Well, I just got in from fighting with my soaker hose irrigation - ugh!
Don't buy the one from Johnny's - obviously intended for commercial
growers who leave it in place all season.

Anyway, I was using it as it's been quite dry here, and the forecast is
for over 90F on Tuesday & Weds., which is rare enough in July, never
mind May. Record-breaking high for sure.

I'm also a proponent of "green is good, brown is bad" lawns. So, while
we do have a few violets in the lawn, much of it is overrun with wild
strawberries - which are in bloom right now.

Planted asparagus from seed last year and picked 4 stalks Saturday, plus
another two today. I'm happy!

Took close to 200 plants which I grew from seed to the church plant sale
yesterday and made $370. Only downside is I mistakenly took a tray I was
keeping for myself and most of those got sold. So no Matt's Wild Cherry,
Sungold tomatoes, etc. Well, I suppose I can get many of them from the
Farmer's Market Friday.

All the stuff I've already planted is doing well - cabbage, broccoli,
lettuce, spinach, peas. The snow cover went away quite early this year -
early April - so I planted by onion & leek seedlings soon after.
Unfortunately, it then got down to 16F (we live in one of those "cold
hollows"), which they didn't like very much. At least half survived, but
I may need to replace the others.

The strawberry bed has just come into bloom and the blueberries have
lots of buds on them, so it looks like we'll have a good year for them,
assuming no frost in the next couple of weeks (and right now it
certainly doesn't look like it!).

Need to get the potatoes & beans planted soon, then set the tomatoes
out. Peppers stay in the greenhouse.

That's it from northern Vermont -

--
Chad Wohlers