[Magdalen] Nothing new since 9 August?? Here's my news...

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Aug 14 20:07:28 UTC 2022

Grandkids seems to be the theme of the day. Mine are visiting (with
their parents) this week, staying in a family room at a local pub/hotel
less than 5 minutes walk away as I don't have space in my little
apartment. They are in the process of renovating a house which they will
own rather than rent as they have done since moving to Cumbria. The
renovation is radical to say the least, pulling down all the ceilings
(has anyone come across reed, rather than lath, and plaster ceilings
before?) and internal walls to leave a bare shell for the builders to
work with.

I have now been named as an Honorary Assistant Priest at my local parish
rather than simply taking services and preaching with no official title.
No pay or rergular duties so nothing has changed on that front, not that
I would want it to. I have also taken responsibility for organizing the
rota of those who operate the sound desk for services and where I
desperately want more volunteers.

Last weekend my brother and sister-in-law celebrated their Golden
Wedding with a short saxophone concert in their parish church. Margaret
was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease five years ago so now needs 24
hour care but communicates through her trusty iPad. It can turn words
she types into sound through what one of her daughters has recorded but,
as you casn imagine, the predictive text is not always accurate.

Roger